About the Diseases:
Excessive bleeding with prolonged duration and short inter-menstrual time is the condition termed as menorrhagia. Normal menstrual blood loss is 50-80 ml. and does not exceed 100 ml. In menorrhagia menstrual cycle is unaltered but duration and quantity of menstrual loss are increased. Whenever the uterine endometrial surface is enlarged, the bleeding surface is increased thus contributing to excessive bleeding.
It is classified under 4 conditions.
1) Regular menstrual cycle but more bleeding i.e. 5-8/28
2) Frequent periods and excessive bleeding i.e. 5-8/20
3) Irregular periods and bleeding
4) Abnormal uterine bleeding any time, also called DUB
1) Due to some general diseases
2) Local causes in pelvis
3) Caused by endocrinal disorders
4) Due to use of contraceptives
In Ayurvedic terms the disorder is called Atyaartava and further includes Laghuchakri Atyaartava, Rakta pradara, Dushkriyajanya Garbhashayi Raktasraava.
Ayurvedic Medicines used for the treatment are: Pushyanug Churna, Naagkeshar Churna,
Pradaraantak Ras and Ashokarishta
Note: The above prescribed medicines are to be taken under the proper advice of an Ayurvedic Medical Practitioner.
Yours in Health,
Dr. Swati Sharma
B.A.M.S. (INT.), PGIMS, Rohtak