About the Disease:
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease in which there is joint inflammation synovial proliferation and destruction of articular cartilage.
Sign And Symptoms:
1. Soft tissue swelling caused by effusion or synovial proliferation.
2. Tenderness on Pressure.
3. Limitation of movements with muscle wasting around the affected joints.
4. Nodules and other extra-articular features.
5. Joint Pain: There is often pain at night that may disturb the sleep.
6. Morning Stiffness: Often lasting for several hours fatigue, weakness are common.
1. Rheumatoid Factor
2. Blood Examination(ESR)
3. Joint X-Ray
4. Joint USG
5. Anti- CCP Antibody Test
According to Ayurveda:
According to Ayurveda Rheumatoid Arthritis is compared as "AamVata". In this disease the joints of feets, hands, elbow, ankles, knee, and low back become inflamed and painful. The term "Aam" means Unripe, immature and undigested. It is resulted as consequence of impaired functioning of Kayagni.
According to Vagbhata, due to hypofunctioning of 'Agni' the Anna-Rasa undergoes Fermentation and Putrification (Dushta). In this state of Rasa which is known as 'Aam'.
The Vitiated doshas along with Aam causes 'AamVata'.
Symptoms of AamVata:
1. Vrischik Damsha Vata Vedna
2. Jwara (Increase Temperature)
3. Sandhi Vikruti (Joint Deformity)
4. Sanchari Vedana (Shifting Pain)
5. Stambha (Stiffness of Joints)
6. Ksudhamandya (Loss of Appetite)
1. Vataj: Where Vata is Predominant (Pain is severe in this type).
2. Pittanubandhi: Where Pitta is Predominant (Burning Sensation and redness of affected joints is present).
3. Kaphanubandhi: Where Kapha is Predominant (Loss of movement and itching is seen in this type).
Line of Treatment:
Langhnam(Fasting): It is done by means of complete absence of food or by giving green gram/ barley soups.
Shodhana: It is done by Panchkarma Therapy.
1. Snehpana -: various oils specially prepared with Dashmoola, Nirgundi and Rasna are used for this purpose. Especially castor oil is considered as the best oil to be used in the treatment of aamvata.
2. Swedana(Fomentation): It is very useful mode of treatment in aamvata. Specially complete dry sweda in the form of Ruksha kuti sweda (sauna bath), Dry fomentation-using sands like dry substances, Upanaha (local application) of non-unctuous substances are very effective in relieving the pain.
3. Virechan (Purgatives)-: Virechan with castor oil is very useful in treating aamvata.
4. Basti (medicated enema) various medicated enemas like Dashmoola Kwath Basti, Kshar Basti, Erandmoola Yapan Basti are useful in relieving the pain in aamvata.
§ Rasna Saptak Kwatha
§ Panchakol Kwatha.
§ Dashmool Kwatha with Eranda Taila.
§ Ajamodadya Churna
§ Panchakol Churrna with lukewarm water
§ Vaishwanar Churrna
Vati / Guggulu:
§ Simhanad Guggulu
§ Brihat yogaraj Guggul
§ Eranda Taila
§ Saindhavadya Taila
§ Amavatari Rasa
§ Rasraj Ras
Yours in Health,
Dr. Vikash Sharma
B.A.M.S. (INT.), PGIMS Rohtak
T. Reg. No. - 2373